Lighthouse/Grounds

Lighthouse Photo Gallery

Grounds Photo Gallery

The Old Sodus Lighthouse is a three story stone block structure whose central section is approximately 35 feet square. The tower of the Lighthouse is also made of stone block, and is about 15 feet square appended to the east wall of the central structure. On the west side of the structure a 20 x 30 foot, two story addition was constructed in about 1900, built of wood framing and clapboard siding.  A front porch extends all along this front side of the building facing the very north end of Ontario Street at the Lake.

Lighthouse

To the North of the building, a 25 foot bluff overlooks Lake Ontario at a distance of less than 100 feet. Moving along this bluff to the East one comes to a gentle grade to the Sodus Point Sand Beach in about 150 yards,  and continuing on along the beach for a half mile or so brings you to the 800 foot pier at the lake entrance to the Sodus Point Harbor.  At the end of this pier is the navigational light in current use -- the use of our Museum Lighthouse for navigation was terminated in 1900.

The first floor of the Museum Lighthouse is divided into four small display rooms, a small gift shop, two small restrooms, and an access hall leading to the tower stairs and inside stairs to the second floor.

The tower itself is about 50 feet high and we invite our visitors to climb the 52 circular steps into the lens room to see the beautiful vista East along the Lake Ontario shoreline.

The Grounds of the Museum consist of about four acres of Public Park belonging to the Town of Sodus and the Village of Sodus Point.  This area is a mowed area of green grass and was the location of the original Keeper's house and the first Lighthouse Tower.   

Concert

Picnic tables and grills are available, and park benches are located in the best scenic areas looking out over the Lake Ontario shoreline. A small Gazebo provides shelter for small groups of performing artists, and is used for other functions associated with the Museum, including many seasonal weddings. The green expanse of the Village park provides seating for the many people who attend our Summer Concerts.